Hill Brooms and Maize:
Hill Brooms and Maize Value Chain Development
Broomgrass is a perennial, high value, non-perishable, nontimber forest product (NTFP) that grows abundantly in degraded, steep or marginal land. The panicles of this multipurpose crop are widely used for making brooms. Broom grass has an important ecological and economical role for hillside dwellers. It’s non-perishable nature makes broomgrass a suitable cash crop establishing high market demands.
Maize popularly known as ‘Corn’ is the most versatile emerging cash crop having wider adaptability under varied climatic conditions. Corn which is also termed as ‘Queen of cereals’ grows throughout the year and is of high nutritious value . Maize or corn serves as basic raw material for thousands of industrial products that may include starch, alcohol beverages, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, package and paper industries etc. In India, a sufficient quantity of Maize is produced developing a considerable market demand.
Promoting Cultivation of Hillbroom and Maize as a sustainable livelihood option:
Hill broom which grows abundantly in the hilly regions of India can be promoted into sustainable livelihood option of the members as it involves very low investments and has high tolerance to harsh environment conditions such as shallow soil, drought and heavy rainfall minimizing risk involved in this cultivation . The members can yield good income with this cultivation and thereby enhance additional household income.
Keeping all the wonderful aspects of Hillbroom and Maize cultivation NRRMS has initiated steps to enhance the household income of Members through collective collection & cultivation, aggregation, primary processing and collective marketing of Hill Brooms and Maize through establishment of community institutions like Producer’s Group. The major objectives of the project will be as follows
- Promotion of Producer Groups and Producers Company.
- Development of business plan and market linkage
- Capacity building of the Mission Staff and Producers Group and Community level.
Business Model for Hill-Broom Grass Value Chain Intervention
Business model for the hill-broom grass processing and collection of hill-broom grass is planned under the supervision of Producer Company. The details are mentioned below:
Description of the proposed business
- Intervention Area: The proposed value chain intervention on processing of raw hill-broom into brooms is planned in two clusters.
- Household Coverage: Under the proposed intervention, there is potential to cover 1000 households in two clusters.
- Raw Material Procurement Plan: There is potential to source raw materials from 1000 households engaged in cultivation of hill-broom in two clusters. In business plan, the procurement price of hill-broom grass is set at INR 31/kg.
- Product Mix: The targeted product mix is 20:80, with around 20% of the raw hill-broom grass procured by Producer Company being processed into brooms and 80% being sold as raw grass to wholesalers and processors.
- Target Markets/Customers and Prices: The unit can potentially target markets. Brooms being an essential item have high demand and command good prices. With the right kind of marketing/promotion strategy and appropriate choice of marketing channels, the unit can ensure fast turnover of its finished broom. It is envisaged that the unit will primarily use following marketing channels for marketing the finished product:
- Bulk sale to wholesalers and distributors for sale of finished broom;
- Organizational tie ups with the Municipal Corporations may also be explored;
- Sell to organized retail players and also unorganized retail players/supermarkets;
- Sell raw hill-broom directly to large processors;